Thursday, June 4, 2009

Woodshed Barbeque Company, El Dorado, AR

Woodshed Barbeque Company

El Dorado, Arkansas

June 13, 2005

We found ourselves in El Dorado, Arkansas around dinnertime.  Stopping at a station for gas, we asked the attendant if El Dorado had a barbeque joint.  His face lit up and he gave us directions to what he called El Dorado Barbeque.  His directions were accurate, but the name was not.  I don’t know what the locals call it, but the name on the sign was Woodshed Barbeque Company.

Woodshed Barbeque Company is housed in a converted gas station, but the owners did a nice job with the conversion and the interior was pleasant and clean.  It was a seat-yourself place.  Our waitress seemed more harried than the handful of customers would seem to warrant, but she was pleasant and efficient.  There were not more than a dozen dine-in customers the entire hour or so we were there.  There was about half that many customers who walked up to take out meals.  The stream of vehicles at the drive-up window, however, was seemingly constant.

Unfortunately, by the time we arrived at about 7:00 pm, they were out of pork and sausage.  Dawn ordered the ribs and I ordered the brisket.

I was disappointed with the brisket.  It was dry, though it did have a slightly smoky taste.  The brisket had been sliced with an electric knife rather than hand cut or chopped which, I believe, affects the texture, if not the taste.

The ribs were quite good.  They were meaty and tender with a good smoky taste.  The half-rack were more than enough for one person.

Portions were normal sized, reasonable for a diner, but not the gluttonous portions that are often served in barbeque joints.  Most single meat dishes were about $8.99.

The baked beans were good.  They were thick, sweet and meaty and, if I hadn’t already had the beans at the Pig Out Inn and Big Bob Gibson’s, I might have pronounced them very good.

The highlight of the meal for Dawn was the bourbon pecan pie which, we were told, had Kahlua in it.  (That shows how knowledgeable I am about alcohol – I didn’t realize Kahlua was bourbon.)  The pie was very good and quite sticky.  I’m not normally a big pecan pie fan, but I enjoyed my few bites of this one.

Overall, Woodshed Barbeque Company is a nice local barbeque joint.  I would like to have tasted their pork.  Their ribs were good, though their brisket was dry.  If I found myself in El Dorado again, I would certainly go back, but I wouldn’t drive far out of my way to do it.

Pros:  Good, meaty ribs; great bourbon pecan pie; clean, airy, pleasant interior.

Cons:  Dry brisket; ran out of pork and sausage relatively early in the evening; may be a little pricey for the portion size.

BBQ:  «««                          Service:  «««

Sauce:  «««                         Sides:  «««

Ambience:  «««                  Overall:  «««

No comments:

Post a Comment